Samples to include for optimal results:
- Fresh and formalin-fixed placenta
- Whole fetus/neonate (recommended) or fresh and fixed tissues, including:
- Fresh brain, heart, lung, liver, kidney, spleen, abomasal fluid, thymus, thyroid, lymph node, fetal eyeball/vitreous humor (for nitrate analysis), placenta, and any tissue with a suspected lesion
- Formalin-fixed placenta, brain, thymus, heart, lung, liver, kidney, spleen, conjunctiva, adrenal gland, skeletal muscle, and any tissue with a suspected lesion
- Feed and water
- Maternal sera (acute and convalescent)
Please also view our novel pneumonia syndrome fact sheet for additional information regarding bovine abortions.